Pollok House/Old Bridge to Pollokshaws Road Bridge

 

Pollok Bridge (Listed category A), which spans the River Cart to the south-east of the Mansion house, was built in 1757 in line with an earlier access route which passed the east side of the Mansion house. The bridge has a single shallow arch with a balustraded parapet. The arch is approached by ramps contained by abutment walls in squared stone rubblework. The north abutment ramp has a small tunnel to relieve the pressure of floodwaters on the structure. The deck of the arch is surfaced in whin stone setts with integral iron wheel plates. Sentinel lanterns formerly mounted upon the parapet walls have been removed.
Pollok Bridge remains in sound condition despite being subjected to regular flooding. Balustrade restoration has been undertaken and abutment walls have been pointed in the past.
Back to Top
pollock park entrance Pollok Country Park is the largest urban park in Europe, and the only country park in Glasgow, just three miles from the city centre.
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/R
residents/Parks_Outdoors/Parks_
gardens/pollokcountrypark.htm

Its 361 acres were gifted to the city in 1966 by Mrs Anne Maxwell Macdonald, daughter of the late Sir John Stirling Maxwell whose wide interests in horticulture and forestry are reflected in the park. It was originally part of the Pollok Estate, owned by the Maxwell family dating back to the 13th century.
Back to Top
Their ancestral home, Pollok House, dates from the 1740s, and is the jewel in the Park’s crown.
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk

It was the fourth seat in the Estate of the Maxwell landowners, enlarged after 1890 to house the library and the family's large art collection, all gifted to the city. In 1998 management of the property was transferred to the National Trust for Scotland (http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/48/ ) of which Sir John Stirling Maxwell was a founding member (1931), becoming one of its first Vice-Presidents and President from 1943 until his death.He was Chairman of the Royal Fine Art Commission for Scotland, a Trustee of the National Galleries of Scotland and Chairman of Ancient Monuments Board (Scotland). He was a writer, and a founding member of the Forestry Commission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forestry_Commission) and served as its Chairman from 1929-1932. He realised the importance of green spaces within a city. In this context, he was determined to protect the Pollok Estate and give the people of Glasgow access to it, which he undertook in 1911. He created the avenue of lime trees, the woodland, wildlife and walled gardens; he bred and collected plants - including over 1,000 species of rhododendron.
Back to Top
Besides the abundance of wildlife, one of the main attractions in the park is the historic pedigree fold of Highland cattle, with around 100 animals in the fold.
The Clydesdale horses – Sam, Baron, Mac and Duke – now a rare breed, are also popular, especially for their dray rides, featuring prominently at park events across the city.
Back to Top
sawmill You can visit them at the Old Stable Courtyard by the river.

Nearby is the former water-driven sawmill by the weir on the White Cart; it also generated electricity for the accumulator batteries used to light Pollok House early in the 20th century – an eco-friendly system ahead of its time! A project is currently being explored by Glasgow City Council’s Land Services to recreate the long-disused resource, creating a sawmill visitor attraction and to demonstrate how woodland is managed, harvested and worked.
Back to Top
Shawmuir Lodge was built after the construction of the railway sidings caused the closure of the link between Pollok Avenue and Maxwell Street . This resulted in the present access arrangements whereby Pollok Avenue deviated its original straight axis, curving southwards parallel with the river to allow it to pass under the railway viaduct at the White Cart.  The Lodge gateway has two piers, which carry ornamental iron gates to the drive. On the outside of each pier is a pedestrian gateway surmounted by a stone lintel.  Currently in a semi–derelict state.

More recently the park has provided a permanent home for the outstanding collection of some 8,000 artworks bequeathed to the city in 1944 by shipping magnate, Sir William Burrell. PIC.
The Burrell Museum http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/venue/index.cfm?venueid=1

was designed in 1972 and opened in 1983. It houses a unique collection, including French Impressionist paintings, mediaeval furniture, and Chinese porcelain. Incorporated into its design are carved stone Romanesque doorways, and reconstructions of rooms in Hutton Castle, the Burrell residence.
Back to Top

The Countryside Ranger Service caters for a variety of activities including pond dipping and wild flower planting; their annual events include the Woodland Fair and ‘Ghostly Goings On’. There is also an annual Family Day and International Highland Cattle Show.

Walks and trails, picnic areas and orienteering (http://www.stag-orienteeringco.uk/) add to the Park’s attractions. The Mountain Bike Circuit (http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/
Residents/Parks_Outdoors/Activities/Cycling/glasgo
wmountainbikecircuit.htm
) is a more recent addition.
Back to Top
mountain bike track

Elsewhere on the Estate there are Golf Clubs, the Dumbreck horse-riding school, Poloc Cricket Club, Pollokshaws Bowling Club, the South West garden allotments, archaeological sites – and the most recent site of the former curling pond!
Back to Top

poloc cricket club
Pollokshaws West Station was built to serve the Glasgow-Barrhead-Neilston railway c.1847 when the associated viaduct was completed. (www.firstscotrail.com)
Back to Top

Built 1928. Designer - Corporation of Glasgow. Reinforced concrete beam and slab deck construction with mass concrete abutments and course granite masonry parapets.

Pollokshaws – www.pollokshaws.org; “Pollokshaws – Village and Burgh 1600-1912” by Andrew McCallum, pub. 1925 by Alexander Gardner, Paisley; “A Brief History of Pollokshaws” by Jack Gibson (1980), transcribed from the original and revised and updated by George Rountree in association with the Pollokshaws Heritage Group (1999).
Back to Top