Pollokshaws Road Bridge to Shawbridge


Pollokshaws Road Bridge
Built 1928
Designer – Corporation of Glasgow
Contractor – Considere Constructions Ltd
Listed – none
Reinforced concrete bean and slab deck construction
Mass concrete abutments
Course granite masonry parapets
Pollokshaws – www.pollokshaws.org; “Pollokshaws – Village and Burgh 1600-1912” by Andrew McCallum, pub. 1925 by Alexander Gardner, Paisley; “A Brief History of Pollokshaws” by Jack Gibson (1980), transcribed from the original and revised and updated by George Rountree in association with the Pollokshaws Heritage Group (1999).
Back to Top
john mclean memorial Pollokshaws was a self-governing burgh until 1912 when it was annexed to the City of Glasgow. It was an industrial area until 1957 when it was proposed as the second Comprehensive Development Area in Glasgow. The area was demolished and started anew. A large number of tower blocks were built of which 4 are now to be demolished in the Shawbridge Corridor regeneration. The areas where these blocks are to have a mix of social and private housing. Pollokshaws was the birthplace of the early 20th century socialist and Scottish Nationalist, John McLean, to whom a memorial stands in the civic square of the old townhouse tower.
Back to Top
Pollokshaws Burgh Hall was built between 1895 and 1898. It was a gift to the community from the local landowner, Sir John Stirling Maxwell, and designed by Robert Rowand Anderson, who was also involved in the East and West wing extensions to Pollok House. Reputedly he based his design on the Old College buildings of the University of Glasgow in High Street, demolished in the 1880s, with the tower and the use of crow-stepped gables the most obvious similarities. There are various carvings and monograms in the building that relate to the Maxwell family.
Back to Top
Sir John also contributed to the upkeep of the Hall until Pollokshaws was annexed to Glasgow in 1912.
It was threatened with closure in the 1990s on account of hefty maintenance and restoration requirements, but as a result of community support it is now run by a charitable Trust.
It is now the largest community-run facility in Glasgow; the main hall has a sprung maple wood dance floor – the largest one left in Glasgow; it came from the British Empire Exhibition in Bellahouston Park in 1938. It also has a rare four-faced clock tower. There are two halls – the main one suitable for concerts, seating 390; the second largest can accommodate up to 100; and there are meeting rooms and classrooms for 10 – 40.
Back to Top
Sir John Maxwell School Red sandstone ashlar building completed in 1907. Designed by John Hamilton. Between 1984 and 1999 the first bilingual (Gaelic) Primary School Unit to be set up in Glasgow was housed here. Named after the contemporary landowner – the Maxwell family lived in nearby Pollok House and thereby since the 13th century.
Back to Top
john maxwell school
The other local primary school – St Conval’s – is named after a monk called Conval, reputedly the son of an Irish prince who established his church locally in the 6th century AD.
Back to Top
The clock tower in Pleasance St is a fragment of the 1803 Burgh Buildings (demolished in 1931 - with the clock tower being retained and secured) located in the original town square.
Back to Top
The library at the corner of Shawbridge St is a 1960s building, adjacent to the Pollokshaws Sports Centre in Ashtree St. It housed the former public baths and washhouse of 1928, designed by the Corporation’s Office of Public works.
Back to Top


Former Baths
It is adjacent to the children’s playpark, Ashtree Park, one of three small areas of ground gifted to the Burgh by the Laird of Pollok in 1866 for use as public parks; and distinguished for the elaborate cast-iron frames of the original swings.
Back to Top
The Toll House of c 1790, when tolls were introduced, is preserved on the roundabout at the junction of Pollokshaws, Nether Auldhouse and Barrhead Roads, reconditioned in 1973.
Back to Top
Built in 1654 to replace the ford, with easy access to the south west through Pollokshaws required. It was rebuilt in 1752 and again in 1934. PIC: Drawing showing proposed line of new bridge over previous one. Designed by Corporation of Glasgow Office of Public Works. Not Listed. Concrete deck on riveted plate girders; granite parapets.
Back to Top