Shawbridge to Riverford Road Bridge


Built circa 1900
Designer – Corporation of Glasgow Office of Public Works
Contractor – McKean & Renwick
Listed – none
Concrete deck on riveted plate girders
Granite parapets
Eastwood Parish Church, perched on the hillside at 5 Mansewood Road, was designed by Charles Wilson in 1862/3 and latterly by David Thomson. It was the gift of Sir John Maxwell, to replace the church of 1781.
The Old Cemetery on the West side of Thornliebank Road was the site of the parish church until 1781 and is said to include early Christian burials. The Stirling Maxwells’ Mausoleum is situated there.
Back to Top
eastwood church
Pollokshaws Church in Shawbridge St was built as the Pollokshaws Original Secession Church in 1843 – very much resembling the style of a late Georgian villa
Back to Top
Provosts’ trees
In 1912, a century after Pollokshaws became an independent Burgh it was annexed to the city of Glasgow. It’s claimed locally that these trees were planted in commemoration of the last five Provosts of the Burgh.
Provost R.S.Brown, a local industrialist (1911-12); Provost James MacDougall, tailor and clothier (1905-11); Provost Robert Wilson, printer (1903-05); David Wright Leckie of Thom & Cameron Ltd (1900-03); Provost Donald McFarlane of Wellmeadow Laundry (1897-1900).
Back to Top
This 1961 picture (above) shows the Shawbridge site known as the communal 'shilling' ground provided by Maxwell Laird for the local farmers to winnow their grain. Laird owned a mill nearby in the 16th century. On the left is a low stone wall which borders the river embankment and is thought to be the continuation of the original bridge parapet of 1654. Beyond the trees are the Orange Halls (the white building), the Corporation Cleansing Department's Depot and an isolated branch of John McDonald's turbine works. Most of these buildings were demolished in the late 1980s.
Back to Top
Used to serve an early 19th century grain mill. Adjacent to the previous site of the bleachfield and printworks – the first to be established in Scotland in 1742 ; as was a tannery, established in the town in 1872, the first of its kind; and there were two cotton mills. In 1807 one of them was lit by gas produced within the mill, a first in Scotland for industrial premises.
Back to Top

Old Vennel church graveyard / Kirk Lane Burial Ground
Belonged to the village’s earliest church, built for the Associate Session of Pollokshaws in1764, the first Secessionist church, and in use until 1871. Fragments of two walls survive. Robert Burns’ daughter, Betty (Mrs John Johnstone) is buried here, the wife of John Thomson, a ‘Shaws weaver. Her mother was Ann Park, a Dumfries barmaid. Her 6’x 4’ tombstone is engraved: ‘Betty Burns, 83, daughter of the poet Robert Burns’. His nephew, Gilbert Burns Begg is buried in the same grave.
Back to Top

The burial ground was laid out in 1770 and still in use today extends to one and a quarter acres. Its popular name is taken from the Vennel - derived from the French 'Venelle' a narrow lane) – the designation of the thoroughfare before there was an official naming of streets. In 1901 the Kirk Session of Pollokshaws East Free Church, as it was then known, handed over control of the burying ground to Eastwood Parish Council. It was acquired by Glasgow Corporation in 1951 and still contains very ancient monuments. Sadly it has suffered grievously from extensive vandalism.
Back to Top
The Archives and Special Collections Department at The Mitchell Library North Street Glasgow have a copy of Monumental Inscriptions taken from headstones at the burial ground. The original church records from the 18th century are largely missing however incomplete lair owner and burial records of the cemetery from around 1880 onwards are held and these are available at 37 High Street..
Back to Top
Riverford Road Bridge
Built 1924
Designer – Considere Constructions Ltd
Contractor – Considere Constructions Ltd
Listed – none
Reinforced concrete beam and slab arch bridge deck
Mass concrete abutments, south abutment is piled, north abutment founded on rockhead.
Back to Top