McQuisten Bridge to Langside Drive Bridge

 

McQuisten Bridge
Built circa 1832 and widened in 1907
Designer – unknown
Contractor – unknown
Listed – Category C(s)
Original 1832 arch forms central section and was widened in 1907 on both up and down stream sides.
Parapets and edges of arch barrel are granite, remainder of structure is sandstone
St Margaret’s Episcopal Church, Kilmarnock Road
Arch. P. Macgregor Chalmers – probably his most impressive and most ambitious Glasgow church. Beautifully built throughout of very local, pale buff Auchenheath stone.
Designed in 1895, built in 4 stages: 1908 (hall and vestries); 1910-12 (nave and lower part of the tower); 1922-3 (chancel); 1934-5 (tower top).
Chalmers’ design included a spire but this was modified after his death in 1922 by Gordon Galloway.
Back to Top
Newlands Conservation Area
Newlands is a substantially unspoilt turn-of-the-century suburb with its consistency of double villas and plot sizes and road widths, low walls, greenspace and greenery. The larger, most impressive villas are in Newlands Road, built by 1895, and Langside Drive, largely by 1907.
Back to Top
Lily pond 1941  -  and in 2007
Newlands Park
Acquired 1913. Area 14 acres gifted by Sir John Stirling Maxwell. Four tennis courts.
“One of Glasgow’s most beautiful small parks, originally with no railings or gates, surrounded by Whitebeam trees and cotoneaster hedge. Of the four entrances the main one is on Kilmarnock Road. The main avenue is lined with a collection of Veitch’s Hybrid Thorn trees.There is a very fine collection of shrubs and trees, including some specimens of Acer brilliantissimum, Acer palmatum, atropurupreum, Gingko bilboa, Garrya elliptica, enkianthus campaniuatus and many more. There is a rock garden, rose border with over 2,000 hybrid tea roses, and ornamental lily pond PIC and extensive borders of both spring and summer bedding plants. There are large lawns for children to play on. Leisure in the Parks, 1972.
Back to Top
Newlands South Church, Langside Drive
Designed by H.E.Clifford, 1901-3. Built from local Giffnock stone with Auchenheath stone dressings in the interior. Most of the original woodwork and Art Nouveau light fittings survive.
Back to Top
Langside Monument, adjacent to Queen’s Park http://www.fife.50megs.com/Old%20
Views%20of%20Scotland /pages/Langside%20Monument_jpg.htm
- for an earlier view
Designed by Alexander Skirving in 1887. Commemorates the Battle of Langside in 1568 when Mary, Queen of Scots, having escaped from Lochleven Castle, was finally beaten by a smaller army led by her half-brother Lord James Stewart (Regent Moray). She then fled to England.
Back to Top
Langside Bridge
(Millbrae Bridge)
Built circa 1897
Designer – Corporation of Glasgow Office of Public Works
Contractor – unknown
Listed – Category B
Granite parapets
Arch barrel, abutments, spandrel walls are all sandstone
Back to Top