Langside Drive Bridge to Silver Bridge

 

Langside Bridge
Langside Drive bridge (Millbrae Bridge)
Built circa 1897
Designer – Corporation of Glasgow Office of Public Works
Contractor – unknown
Listed – Category B
Granite parapets
Arch barrel, abutments, spandrel walls are all sandstone
Queen’s Park Synagogue, Falloch Road
Designed by Ninian MacWhannell of MacWhannell & Smellie Architects, 1924-26, in red-painted artificial stone, combining Italian and Romanesque styles. Category B’ listed in 1989.   A series of 22 stained glass windows, including a spectacular set to the apse semi-dome, was designed by John Clark as part of the Jewish community's contribution to "Glasgow European City of Culture", depicting the story of the festivals making up the Jewish year.  Vacated in 2002 it was sold to the Glasgow Jewish Housing Association for conversion into apartments.
Back to Top
“Given that the synagogue was built on the flood plain of the River Cart, the new principal floor level will be raised to just below window cill height, providing a series of interesting spaces in the "ground" floor apartments.  There will be fifteen flats, of varying sizes, including two maisonettes, a top-lit studio flat, and two apartments in the vaulted roof space.  Ten are for sale and five will be retained by the housing association (now called Arklet H A) for rent.  An additional entrance into the building will be created on the Lochleven Road frontage and a new timber and steel circular staircase installed where the Ark once stood.  Cleaning of the red "linostone" from the frontage has revealed the original concrete block to have been salmon-pink! Regrettably, the stained glass had to be re-located, added to which we were struggling to find anyone to take the oak pews, so a lot of them were broken up.  One of the brass hanging lights will be returned to the main entrance hall, but otherwise we weren't able to save much.  Quite a lot of the salvaged material ended up in the Gramophon restaurant on King Street - pews, some glass and some panelling.  The stained glass was transferred to the synagogue in Giffnock.” - Arch. Fiona Sinclair.
Back to Top
Millbrae Crescent
This curve of low two-storey terraced houses is unique on the southside of the city; ‘Greek’ Thomsonesque in detail, executed by Turnbull after his partner’s death in 1875.
www.greekthomson.com

Millbrae Conservation Area
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres
/6B7B70A7-911A-4086-
BA7BDA4F59B274FA/0/millbrae.pdf

Lies within the district of Langside, located to the east of Millbrae Road bounded to the south and east by the White Cart Water.
Area originally thrived on a tradition of weaving. There was a paper mill (dating from 1690) and a corn mill on the banks of the river, demolished by 1895.
Back to Top

Around 1820, the Langside & Millbrae area was regarded as a health resort with wealthy city merchants building mansions in the vicinity, slowly crowding out the weavers.
Langside Railway Station
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langside_railway_station
ref: “The Cathcart Circle”, Jack Kernahan, 1980 (ISBN 0-9043-9601-0)
The station was opened as part of the western extension of the Cathcart District Railway in 1894. It consists of a single island platform accessed by a subway and stairs to Langside Drive at the west end, and Earls Park Avenue and Tannahill Road to the east. The original station building burnt down on 13.8.66.
Back to Top
albert park Albert Park
Langside Library, Sinclair Drive
1912-3 by George Simpson Ca.17th century-classical style in red sandstone. It was the last of 11 libraries built in Glasgow courtesy of Andrew Carnegie. The single-storey building features a symmetrical frontage in three bays, and the city’s coat of arms above the central entrance.
Main reading room still has a mural painting (oil on canvas) of The Battle of Langside by Maurice Greiffenhagan, ARA, 1919, presented by the Governors of the Glasgow School of Art.
Back to Top
Battlefield Rest, at the road junction outside the Victoria Infirmary.
Designed by Burnet & Boston and unique in Glasgow. Built as a transport shelter with a difference! It was planned and built before the general austerity which followed the Great War. The exterior is tiled in the Glasgow Corporation Transport colours of green and cream. Opened in 1915 in the heyday of Glasgow’s tramcars, it was later used by trolleybus passengers in the 1950s and 1960s, with a popular news kiosk on to Battlefield Road. A huge mural of Glasgow Corporation Transport featured in the interior. The shelter was rescued from dereliction by its conversion into a restaurant in the early 1990s.
Back to Top
‘Silver Bridge’
Sinclair Drive Footbridge
Built 1957
Designer - Corporation of Glasgow Office of Public Works
Supplier – bridge supplied by Tubewrights Ltd
Listed – none
Tubular steel framed footbridge on mass concrete abutments
Back to Top