Silver Bridge to New Bridge

 

‘Silver Bridge’
– Sinclair Drive Footbridge
Built 1957
Designer - Corporation of Glasgow Office of Public Works
Supplier – bridge supplied by Tubewrights Ltd.
Tubular steel framed footbridge on mass concrete abutments
Holmlea Park
Acquired 1914. 4 acres.
Described as Holmlea Recreation Ground in Leisure in the Parks, 1972 – a well laid out area with ample recreational facilities: bowling green, five tennis courts, putting green and children’s playground.
Back to Top
Scottish Power
The former Wallace-Scott Tailoring Institute building of 1913-22 by J.J. Burnet was notable for its advanced, functional design and staff facilities. It originally faced towards Inverlair Avenue. Almost all of its formally laid surroundings of garden, tennis courts, bowling greens and sports ground, ringed with clipped bushes and pollarded trees have disappeared under later buildings and a sea of tarmac. Two tower-like gatehouses remain. The former Tailoring Institute building has been butchered twice in the post-WW2 period, with the removal of the glazed polychrome brickwork, and replacement windows; also the large concrete parapet towers and the handsome glass entrance canopy have gone. The internal layout has also been radically destroyed. The main entrance now is via the augmented footbridge off Spean Street. The only internal feature of any significance to remain is the marble staircase from the foyer of the original entrance. Its 1996 refurbishment was based on original drawings. Scottish Power is the largest employer on the south side of the city.
Back to Top
Weir’s Pumps
This block was built in 1912 – the design bought in the USA by Wm Weir from Albert Kahn’s Trussed Concrete Steel Company, used in Detroit for a Packard Automobile factory. Concrete infill panels were used instead of brick, with the frame moulded at each storey with vestiges of classical cornices. Weir fitted out the interior with wood panelling and stained glass. The entrance gates are Art Nouveau. The top storey is by James Miller in 1928. The east block was not built until 1949-51.
Weir’s of Cathcart is world-famous for its engineering manufacture.
It began as the Holm Foundry, established in 1886 by George and James Weir.
Back to Top
Holmlea School, Holmlea Road
Designed by A.Balfour 1907-8. Inscribed Cathcart Parish School: Holmlea Public School. 17th century domestic style in pink ashlar with symmetrical frontage around a more elaborate entrance bay – more elaborate than customary for schools of the period. Glasgow-style railings with the typical inverted heart motif. It served as a primary school for close on 100 years until June 2005, now requiring more by way of repairs, renovation and upgrading to modern school standards than the Council can spend on it. An economic alternative use for this fine building has not yet been found.
Back to Top
New Bridge was constructed in 1900-02, together with Holmlea Road and Clarkston Road, to carry trams into Cathcart.
New Bridge (Holmlea Rd Bridge)
Built 1901
Designer – unknown
Contractor – unknown
Granite arch barrel and parapets
Back to Top