New Bridge to Delvin Road Bridge


New Bridge was constructed in 1900-02, together with Holmlea Road and Clarkston Road, to carry trams into Cathcart.
New Bridge (Holmlea Rd Bridge)
Built 1901
Designer – unknown
Contractor – unknown
Granite arch barrel and parapets
Cathcart was one of the three ancient parishes that ringed Glasgow to the south (Govan and Eastwood were the other two). It stretched from Pollokshaws to Muirend. The site of the parish church is unknown. Cathcart Castle (see section 10) was built in the 15th century by the Cathcarts who had held the lands since the 12th century and abandoned them ca 1750.
By 1791 the population of the whole, almost entirely agricultural parish was 697. The only well-established industry was paper-making at Millholm (see section 10) begun ca 1729 and developed by the Coupers in the mid 19th century. Another paper-making mill was opened by the Old Bridge in 1812.
Back to Top
Couper Institute - and Library, Clarkston Road
Built in 1887 with funds provided by local paper mill-owner Robert Couper. It is the largest of Glasgow’s public halls on the southside of the city.
Arch. James Sellars of Campbell Douglas and Sellars. The hall resembles an early Georgian Town House with a Venetian window and stairtower. The original building included a library and reading room in the same style; they were replaced in 1923 by an additional hall for the Public Library (arch. J.A.T.Houston). Interior of the halls was modernised in 1971-3.
Back to Top
Cathcart Railway Station, Clarkston Road – what remains of a pretty wooden station building (like those at Pollokshields West – demolished 1992 – and Maxwell Park Station – reconstructed 1998 on the Cathcart Circle), and also built in 1894 for the Cathcart and District Railway.
Back to Top
The Cathcart District Railway was opened from the city to Mount Florida in 1886 and was extended to Cathcart. This was the terminus station from 1 March 1886 until 1894. It was below the standard of the intermediate stations and was not intended to be permanent; the platforms can still be seen through the hole in the brick wall under the later and current railway bridge in Old Castle Street. The new station opened in March 1894 when the Circle was completed.
Back to Top
Delvin Road Bridge
Built circa 1900
Designer – Foremans & McCall
Contractor – Alex Findlay & Co
Listed – Category B
Ornamental cast iron parapets
Back to Top