Delvin Road Bridge to Snuffmill Bridge

 

Delvin Road Bridge
Built circa 1900
Designer – Foremans & McCall
Contractor – Alex Findlay & Co
Listed – Category B
Ornamental cast iron parapets
Edith Cottage (site of former), 49 Old Castle Road
Once the site of a steading called Kilmailing, a small white house was built as an Old Men’s Club, opened in 1935; named after the wife of a local councillor who opened it – Edith Shoesmith.
Edith Cottage was demolished in 2004.
Back to Top
 
old cathcart parish church

 

Cathcart Old Parish Church + graveyard, Carmunnock Road
Designed by Clifford & Lunan. Begun in 1914 but interrupted by the First World War. Restarted in 1923. Completed in 1929 by Watson, Salmon & Gray. Built to succeed the church of 1831 – arch. James Dempster, dedicated to St Oswald and built in a Norman style unusual in Scotland - a fragment of this surviving in the graveyard across the road. The first church known on the graveyard site dated from 1707 but there are earlier monuments: to the Polmadie Martyrs (Thom, Cooke and Urie) executed in 1685 for their adherence to the Covenant; the gabled Gothic Mausoleum of the Gordons of Aitkenhead; the 18th century tombstone of Francis Murdoch, Dean of Guild of Ayr; a circular Byzantine mausoleum; the 18th century classical burial chamber of Thomas Brown of Langside; a cast-iron enclosure round the family burial place of Neale Thomson of Camphill (1867); a neo-Greek sarcophagus designed by Alexander Thomson to commemorate the son of his collaborator – John McIntyre, Builder in Glasgow. And built into a wall of the church ruins is an early 19th century watchhouse.
Back to Top

 

Cathcart Parish Church

Building began in 1914 to designs by Clifford and Lunan to succeed the church of 1831, a fragment of which survives in the graveyard across the road, dating back to the 13trh century.  Interrupted by the First World War it was restarted in 1923 and completed in 1929 by Watson, Salmond & Gray, with a number of distinguished features.

It has a tearoom, The Haven, open Mon-Fri 10 a.m. - 1.30 p.m.

 

Old Smiddy
The Smiddy was an important part of the old village. Upstairs there was latterly a Dog Infirmary run by one of the Peddie sons who became a vet – the Peddie family were hereditary armourers to the Earls of Cathcart. The Smiddy is on part of the site of Castle Mains Farm - run by another branch of the Peddie family who moved from the neighbouring estate of Aitkenhead where they had been gardeners. It is now a popular pub and restaurant.
Back to Top

Lindsay House
A tenement constructed adjacent to the bridge, built in 1863 by David Lindsay, son of Solomon Lindsay, the mill owner, for himself and his workers. His monogram is carved above the doorway. Arch. John Baird II.
Back to Top

 

Snuffmill Conservation Area
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E7E7E2D4-A8F7-47BA-A5E9-BF17BB9BCE66/0/snuffmill.pdf

The Snuff Mill Conservation Area is located three miles south of the city centre within Cathcart. The Conservation Area is centred on the Snuff Mill Bridge which spans the White Cart Water with Netherlee Road to the west and Holmhead Road to the north. It is dissected from north to south by the river and bounded on the south side through the centre line of the river as it bends along the northern part of Linn Park. The meandering White Cart Water with its steeply rising west bank provides the central focus for the conservation area.

The original Cathcart was a small village on the banks of the White Cart which grew up around Cathcart Castle. The name Cathcart is thought to be derived from the Celtic “caer” meaning “fort” and “cart” meaning a fertilising stream.

The history of the area can be reliably traced back to the time of King David I of Scotland (1124-1153). The King gave Cathcart to Walter Fitzalan, a loyal knight who was appointed Great Steward of Scotland. He in turn divided his lands and gave Cathcart to Renaldus and the Cathcart lineage continued with William de Ketkert. The Cathcart family had a long military tradition and the son of Sir William de Ketkert, Sir Alan of Cathcart, fought alongside Robert the Bruce at the battle of Loudon Hill in 1307.

By 1782 Cathcart was a considerable village, containing about 36 houses, with a toll at the west end, and, with its neighbouring village, New Cathcart, developed as business people were attracted to the area to use the river for its power and its clean water. Grain mills, paper mills, dye and carpet works and an iron foundry were built on the riverbanks.

The Snuff Mill was built in the 18th century to grind grain and was known locally as the Cathcart Meal Mill; it was converted to cardboard making in 1812, with snuffmilling added in 1814. The mill operated on a cooperative basis with parts leased to other millers.

At the turn of the 19th Century, the village of Cathcart suffered a sharp decline in population and importance when the Cathcart New Bridge was built in 1800 half a mile downstream. Cathcart village was by-passed and dwindled to six or eight families.

Wealthy city inhabitants, attracted by the rural charm, built fine new villas between the two villages.
Rhannan Road and Holmhead Road were the first streets laid out for this “garden suburb”.

The mill and Lindsay’s cottage next to it, known as Mill Cottage, were sold in 1905 to a Mr McIntosh who demolished the cottage and built Mill House which remains today.
Back to Top

 

Snuffmill bridge – Masonry arch bridge
Designer – unknown
Contractor – unknown
Listed – Category B
At one time was the only crossing of the White Cart Water, carrying the main road from Glasgow to Ayr.
This historic bridge dates from 1624 and remains the central feature of the conservation area. It is possible that it was reconstructed in the 18th Century with the date stone inserted. The south arch is narrow and semi-circular, the north arch wide and segmental.
It was formerly known as the Cathcart Old Bridge.
Back to Top