Snuffmill Bridge to White Bridge


Snuffmill Bridge
Snuffmill bridge – Masonry arch bridge
Designer – unknown
Contractor – unknown
Listed – Category B
At one time was the only crossing of the White Cart Water, carrying the main road from Glasgow to Ayr.
This historic bridge dates from 1624 and remains the central feature of the conservation area. It is possible that it was reconstructed in the 18th Century with the date stone inserted. The south arch is narrow and semi-circular, the north arch wide and segmental.
It was formerly known as the Cathcart Old Bridge.
Back to Top

Cathcart Castle site
The Castle was built around 1450. It once belonged to Alan de Cathcart who fought for Scotland’s independence in the 14th century. Mary Queen of Scots reputedly stayed in the Castle prior to the Battle of Langside in May 1568.
The Castle was the seat of the Earls of Cathcart and was thought to have been built in the late 15th Century. Its position gave the Cathcarts control of the important Glasgow-Ayr route where it crossed the River Cart by ford and later by bridge. The castle was erected as a five storey rectangular keep surrounded by a “barmkin”, accommodation comprised a cellar on the ground floor, a hall on the first floor, two large chambers on the second floor, a kitchen on the third and garrets in the attic. A church was built about half a mile to the northeast of the original settlement near a holy well dedicated to St Oswald.
By the 17th century rising standards of living meant that the castle no longer provided the best form of residence, therefore the interior was remodelled in brick decorated with plaster. By the 18th century the castle was abandoned ca 1740 and sold to a builder. It proved to be too well built and was only partly taken down to provide building materials. There were two servants cottages located on ground between the castle and old castle road; one for the family’s coachman, the other for the butler and grieve. The Cathcart family moved nearby to a new mansion called Cathcart House.
In 1866 it still had five storeys and was surrounded by smaller buildings.
The cottages and Cathcart House were demolished in the 1920s.
In 1927 the lands of Cathcart Castle, over 18 acres, were added to the Linn Park. The castle was demolished in 1980 – for safety reasons, when the south east corner collapsed after torrential rain. Stone walling only a few feet high remains atop the cliff overlooking the river.
Back to Top
Holmwood House, 61-63 Netherlee Road
The finest example of Alexander ‘Greek’Thomson’s domestic architecture. Built in 1858, it was commissioned by James Couper, owner of the nearby Millholm Paper Mill and local benefactor. Now owned and being restored to Thomson’s original design by the National Trust for Scotland as a long-term comprehensive conservation project.
Back to Top
Millholm (site)
Situated below Holmwood House and above the river. Now only an outline ruin. Demolished in (DATE)
Cathcart cemetery, Brenfield Road
Plans drawn by W.R. McKelvie of Dundee; opened in 1878. The picturesque, assymetrical lodge house with its small round tower, at the entrance from Brenfield Road is now derelict.

Back to Top

Linn Park _Outdoors/Parks_gardens/linnpark.htm
The second largest of over 70 parks in Glasgow. A classic example of a Victorian Park.

Its 203 acres were variously purchased from landowners between 1919 and 1933.
Originally part of Hagtonhill, belonging to the Maxwells of Pollok; sold to a West Indian shipping Line owner who built the now-derelict Linn Mansion House ca 1820, and created much of the woodland and gardens. The house was added to in 1840 by John Gordon of Aitkenhead who reputedly created the lime tree avenue, running through the park, in the 1850s.

It is unique within the city for its Equestrian Centre, purpose-built; it has an outstanding diversity of wildlife, habitat and plant life, given its relatively close proximity to the city centre.
Britain’s smallest bat – the pipistrelle – hibernates in the Old Mansion House. Over 200 species of fungi have been found within the park.
Back to Top


The Countryside Ranger Service offers a range of events and activities and patrol the park.
There is an 18-hole golf course and two children’s play areas, amongst a variety of other attractions.

The meagre ruins of Cathcart Castle date back to the days of Sir William Wallace and King Robert the Bruce, belonging to Alan de Cathcart who fought for Scotland’s independence. In the middle of the sixteenth century the Castle was sold to Lord Semphill, an enemy of Mary Queen of Scots. After 1750 the Castle was unhinhabited. It was demolished in 1980 – for safety reasons, when the south east corner collapsed after torrential rain. Stone walling only a few feet high remains atop the cliff overlooking the river.
Back to Top

White Bridge
or Halfpenny Bridge
oldest cast iron bridge in Glasgow
Built 1835
Listed – Category B
Designer – unknown
Contractor – unknown

Spans the Cart in one elegant arch; a one-piece casting.
Back to Top